TFN application form PDF, apply for tfn online, tax file number, apply for tax file number under 18, tax file number search, My gov tax file number.
Are you an Australian resident and need a tax file number (TFN) or TFN application form PDF? We can help. Apply online and verify your identity at one of our participating post offices around Australia.
TFN application form 2023 PDF Download
What is a tax file number (TFN)?
A tax file number (TFN) is a unique 9 digit number issued to individuals and organisations to administer tax and other Australian government systems.
Who is eligible for a Tax File Number – TFN Application?
All Australian residents can apply for a TFN online.
You can apply for a tax file number online if you meet these three conditions:
- You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
- You are already in Australia.
- Your visa is one of the following:
- a permanent migrant visa
- a visa with work rights
- an overseas student visa
- a visa allowing you to stay in Australian indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).
Please note: TFN application applies to Australian residents only. There is no fee for a TFN application. Any Australian resident can apply for a TFN at no cost.
If you live outside Australia, or are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor, Please visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website for more information.
How to apply for Tax file number (TFN) Online
To apply for TFN Online follow the following steps;
- Complete the online application form by visiting the ATO website
- Print the application summary and gather your required identity documents to present at an interview
- Find a participating Post Office near you. Only selected Post Offices accept TFN applications. While bookings are not essential, you may book an appointment if you prefer
- To complete your application, you must visit a participating Post Office for an interview within 30 days of printing your application summary. Don’t forget to bring along your application summary and required identity documents
NOTE: You should receive your TFN within 28 days after your interview. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will mail your TFN to the postal address on your application. Your patience during the processing period is appreciated. Please do not lodge another application during this time.
Why is Your TFN Important?
The Tax File Number is a requirement to transact with the Australian Taxation Office. It is also useful to other organisations, particularly the government agencies in the country. Typically, you will have to provide your TFN for the following transactions:
- You lodge your tax return with the ATO
- You start working
- You change jobs
- You establish a business as a sole trader and apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- You apply for HECS-HELP
- You wish to claim the Family Tax Benefit (FTB)
- You make payments under PAYG, or you are the recipient
- You want to apply for assistance from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- You will submit an application for payments through Centrelink
With all the transactions mentioned, you may automatically think that you should get a Tax File Number. In reality, having a TFN is not a necessity. You do not have to apply for a Tax File Number your whole life because the law does not require it.
There is a problem when you do not have a TFN though, especially if you are working. Your employer should take 47% of your salary and pay it in taxes. Additionally, any financial institution will deny 47% of interest earned.
Just the thought of paying more tax will encourage you to apply for a TFN. If you do not have this particular number, it will certainly stop you from filing your tax returns in the easiest possible way. You are not allowed to process your tax returns electronically. For most people, it becomes a burden to meet their tax obligations. It may also be challenging to get your money back – even if the government owes it to you.
Those who will need to apply for government benefits are required to have a Tax File Number. The TFN makes it easier for the tax office to search your records.
Meanwhile, if you wish to start a business, you cannot apply for an Australian Business Number without having a TFN first.
More information about TFN application form PDF and TFN Online Application
To learn more about applying for – and protecting – a TFN, visit the following pages on the ATO website:
Alternatively, you can contact the ATO on 13 28 61 between 8am and 6pm (EST), Monday to Friday.
To make or reschedule an appointment for an interview, call 13 13 18 or visit our location and hours tool.