South African Passport Online Application 2023. Apply for South African Passport, Passport Application South Africa. South African application form.
South African Passport Online Application 2023
A passport is a document issued by a national government for international travel and it certifies the identity and nationality of the holder.
South Africans can apply for a passport online, and renew their expired passports online too. Here is my detailed guide on how to do an online passport application.
You must have a South African identity document to apply for a passport, or if you are a child, a birth certificate.
If you are travelling on official government business, you may apply for an official passport. Diplomats get a diplomatic passport.
It is important to know that when you apply for a passport, whether in South Africa or overseas, you must apply in person because:
- The passport officer must be satisfied that your identity is legal and valid
- The passport officer must check that your photograph is a true image of yourself; and
- Your fingerprints must be taken (for people who are aged 16 years or older) and checked against the National Population Register
You must also note that:
- All documents required for passport applications should be completed in black ink.
- Husband, wife and children must all complete separate application forms. Both parents and the children concerned must be present when applying for passports for children. See exceptions under Tourist Passports:persons under 16
- Passports are issued in accordance with your names as they appear in the National Population Register (NPR) at the time of your application. Any changes to your names must be applied for, finalised and recorded in the NPR before you.
How to apply for a South African passport online Application
To apply for South African Passport Online follow the following steps;
- Step 1: Go to the Department of Home Affairs’ website which is https://ehome.dha.gov.za/echannel.
- Step 2: Register on this website
- Step 3: After registration you will find options to apply for a passport online for yourself or for minors.
- Step 4: Select the Minor Passport option or for yourself.
- Step 5 Complete the forms and submit them. Select the branch where you want to do your biometrics and collect your passport.
- Initiate a payment instruction by entering your bank account details, and logging into your Internet Banking.
- Book your biometrics appointment.
When to apply for your South African passport
- If you are applying for a new South African passport online when you have an existing one, your old passport needs to expire within the next 6 months.
- If you are applying because your old South African passport is full, then you need to have 3 or less blank pages. If you have more than 3 blank pages, you will not be able to apply for a new one.
How to apply for an ID online
The process of applying for an ID online is similar to that of the online passport application. The system will guide you through the process. South African Passport Online Application 2022
- Go to https://ehome.dha.gov.za/echannel
- Indicate whether the application is for yourself or a minor.
- Click on “Create New Application”
- You will be asked ” How are you a citizen”. Once you have selected the correct option, go to the next step.
- When asked what are you applying for, select ” First Application” or “Re-Issue” under “Identity Card Application”. If you want to apply for both an ID and a passport at the same time, you will need to select both options on this page, as you will not be able to create 2 separate applications simultaneously.
- Complete the form. For minors, you will have to provide the parents’ details as well. Select which home affairs or bank branch, you want to collect your ID from.
- Upload the required documentation.
- Process payment as above. The first issue of an ID is free. A re-issue will cost R140.
- Make your bank branch booking for biometrics. Take the relevant supporting documents with you to the bank with a printout of your booking confirmation. This includes the birth certificate and parent ID for a minor, and any documents that you were asked to upload during the booking process.
- After you have been for your appointment, you will be informed when your ID is ready for collection.
You must know that:
- For an ID application, a minor will require one parent present whereas for a passport, both parents are required.
- A 17-year old applying for a first ID does not have to do it on a parent’s account. They can create their own account.
Which banks am I able to complete my online application at?
- ABSA: Centurion
- FNB: Lynnwood, Pretoria
- FNB: Merchant Place, Sandton
- Nedbank: Arcadia, Pretoria
- Nedbank: Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort
- Nedbank: Rivonia, Sandton
- Standard Bank: Centurion
- Standard Bank: Killarney, Johannesburg
- Standard Bank: Simmonds Street, Johannesburg
- Investec Bank: Sandton
- Standard Bank: Jubilee Mall, Hammanskraal
- ABSA: Key West Mall, Krugersdorp
- ABSA: Sandton
- FNB: Glen Shoppign Centre, Oakdene
In Cape Town
- Standard Bank: Canal Walk, Cape Town
- FNB: Greenpoint, Cape Town
- Nedbank: St Georges Mall, Cape Town
- Standard Bank: Mitchell’s Plain Promenade, Mitchell’s Plain
- FNB: Portside, Cape Town
In Kwa-Zulu Natal
- FNB: Cornubia, Greyville
- Standard Bank: Kingsmead, Greyville
- FNB: Burgersfort, Limpopo
In Eastern Cape
- ABSA: Gqerberha
- Standard Bank: Newtown, Gqerberha
How long does online passport application take in South Africa?
It will take about 7-21 working days to process the South African Passport Online Application and issue the passport. The tourist passport is valid for 10 years. Note: Passports must be valid for at least 30 days after the intended departure date. Passports should also have at least 2 blank pages for entry stamps.
How much is South Africa passport?
Application for any change of the forenames or surname of a minor (Sections 24 and 25 of Act 51 of 1992). South African Passport Online Application for the changing of a major’s forenames in the birth register (Section 24 of Act 51 of 1992).CIVIC SERVICES.
Passport – R400.00
Maxi Tourist Passport – R600.00
Crew Member Certificate – R350.00
Can you renew your SA passport online?
Passports cannot be renewed once they expire; you will need to apply for a new one. South African citizens can apply via the eHomeAffairs website. Please note, you will need internet banking to proceed with your online passport application.
What does South African Passport Include?
South African passports include the following information:
- A photo of the passport holder
- Type of passport
- Issuing country
- Passport number
- Given names and surname of the passport holder
- Nationality of the passport holder
- Gender of passport holder
- Birth date
- Birth place
- Issue date
- Expiry date
- Issuing authority
DISCLAIMER: Whizzem Website is in no way able to assist with passport renewals. This article is purely informative with the goal of providing the reader with the necessary information on how to go about applying for or renewing your South African passport.