Application Close Date: April 30th, 2022
Estimated Start date: June 1st, 2022
Work Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (locally recruited position)
Reports to: Director of Community Programs
Terms: Full Time (40 hours a week), 6 months initial contract
OpenMap Development Tanzania is a Non-Governmental Organization operating across Tanzania with offices located in Mikocheni – Dar es Salaam. Since its establishment in 2017, OMDTZ has executed and promoted several community mapping projects, generated map awareness, actively pledged open datasets, and continued to build a network of enthusiastic mappers in Tanzania. OMDTZ heavily contributes to the OpenStreetMap platform, which is both a map and database of geographic data owned by contributors on OSM; anyone can view, create and use this information for free.
We create open datasets and advocate for different innovative solutions for different cases such as disaster response for floods, waste management, etc. See our website for more information – (https://www.omdtz.or.tz/)
OMDTZ is looking for a candidate with experience in digital content creation, video and graphic design, photography, social media management, blogging, etc. The candidate should ideally have a background in Journalism, Mass Communications, international relations, or any other related field.
About the Position
Reporting to the OMDTZ’s Director of Community Programs, the Communications Intern will support digital content creation including capturing photos and videos, poster design, creating content for YouTube channel, updating social media pages with creative content, managing the OMDTZ website and Medium account, support on maintaining OMDTZ’s public relations and visibility of the organization, etc.
We’re looking for an individual well versed in the use of communications techniques in humanitarian and development mapping and data use contexts. Our preferred candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, startup-like environment with a highly motivated and unconventional team. We are particularly interested in candidates with a strong background and passion for social media content creation, creating or directing good videos, poster design, etc.
You should be passionate about working in a communications role in a tech startup, NGO, or humanitarian/development agency. You should thrive in an environment where you direct your day-to-day tasks and build a strategy through consensus with a team of staff and volunteers with minimal supervision.
Our ideal candidate moves fluently between the styles of our partners which range from formal intergovernmental processes to informal tech speak. You will primarily work at the OMDTZ HQ office in Dar es Salaam with up to 20% traveling time. You will also work with remote teams and partners so you should be familiar with online conferencing tools, i.e Skype, Google Meet, Zoom, etc.
This role requires an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who can manage multiple tasks. This individual is a team player, willing to learn and able to manage multiple tasks while adapting to shifting priorities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Content creation/curation/optimization: Assist with writing, creating, editing, delivering and optimizing a range of communications-related materials including video, photography, brochures, graphic design, etc.
- Event support: Assist with coordination of special events, projects, and campaigns including event coverage, i.e photography, videos, recording interviews, etc.
- Build and maintain internal and external relationships across the organization including outreach, media relation, etc.
- Regular update of OMDTZ’s social media pages with creative content including but not limited to Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Contribute to https://www.omdtz.or.tz/ content and editorial including developing guidelines for content, tone, images, etc.
- Pilot innovative communications methods such as podcasts or short videos.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
- Experience and passion in digital communications management, content development, mass communications, public relations, or external affairs role with a desire to use digital skills for development/humanitarian relief to improve the lives of others
- Bachelor’s degree, Diploma, or Certificate in English, Journalism, Communications, International Affairs, Nonprofit Management or similar
- Clear, concise, and compelling writing skills in English and Swahili
- Ability to use graphic design tools (Canva, Adobe suite, basic photo editing)
- Ability to organize interviews in relation to the context
- Excellent data management, organized, and attentive to detail
- Flexible and adaptable thinker, with the ability to work independently, collaboratively and manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Are you missing a few of the skills listed? We would still like to see your application. While the skills above fit our vision of this role, we are open to those candidates with a strong knowledge foundation that are fast learners and highly motivated to close any skill gaps.
Must read: Jinsi ya kufungua account na kuomba kazi AjiraPortal
- This is a paid internship, not less than Tanzania’s minimal wage scale.
We seek to recruit an individual who reflects the diversity of the communities we work with and further, support their retention and advancement within the organization. OMDTZ does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender, race and ethnicity, or religious beliefs. Our staff includes people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives on the world. OMDTZ is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to live our values and promote inclusivity. All of our staff work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of all is valued and respected.
Please complete the application by April 30th, 2022 at 23:59 East Africa Time. Send your two- page CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You are also allowed to upload any other material(s) deemed fit for the post that can add value to your application.