Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Location: Katavi Region
Reports to: M&E Manager
Chama cha Uzazi na Malezi Bora Tanzania (UMATI) established in 1959, is an autonomous
voluntary National NGO originally incorporated under CAP 337 in 1973, established under
non-governmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2019 with registration number
00NGO/R2/000231. It is a full Member Association (MA) of the International Planned
Parenthood Federation (IPPF) accredited in 2015.
UMATI works in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Community Development,
Gender, Women and Special Groups and Regional Administration and Local Government
(PORALG) with a goal of providing Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) education,
information and services in Tanzania. The Assosciation has a long leadership history in
SRH Programmes in Tanzania including pioneering in Family Planning (FP) services, SRHR
Programmes for young people, integrated Clinics and Community based service delivery
UMATI with support from Plan International will be implementing a 6 years project
namely VUMA Project “Adolescent Girls’ Health &Rights” to empower AGYW aged 10-24
in the Katavi Region to fulfil their sexual, reproductive, economic, and protection rights
by addressing the root causes of gender inequality and supporting a more resilient health
system and maintain SRH and other health services.
The project will apply a comprehensive feminist approach to ensure that health systems are resilient and
accountable, tackling the multi-sectoral drivers of poor adolescent SRHR. It will also
promote the collective and individual agency to make choices and the power to act upon
those choices by supporting stakeholders, particularly women’s rights organizations
(WROs) and youth-led organizations (YLOs) in the newly-formed and underserved Katavi
UMATI wishes to recruit qualified and experienced candidates to fill in the following
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will be responsible for the design, implementation, coordination, and implementation of the M&E, and learning needs of the Project and will come up with findings based on real data to show performance of the project. He/she will oversee the monitoring, evaluation, analytics, and reporting of performance and results, providing regular project reports to UMATI. He/she will play role in promoting key learning and accountability for the improvement of the project and for the wider learning of the organization. He/she will conduct regular project data analysis and identify methods to use results for program improvement. S/he will lead activity efforts to strengthen monitoring and evaluation and performance reporting within the geographic area of the project.
- To conduct regular data collection and ensure the quality of the data by random verifications and validations
- To record, manage and preserve monitoring and evaluation data in a safe and accessible environment
- To analyze and discuss findings based on regular monitoring data
- Provide technical support on M&E and evidence-based recommendations to the relevant Project Manager and Partners.
- Ensure that the implementation of field activities adheres to UMAT’s monitoring and evaluation system
- Provide inputs, information, and statistics for quarterly, biannual, annual, and other reports to Project Management Team and UMATI
- Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Project Management in preparing relevant reports;
- Support monitoring and evaluation of the effects and impact of the project;
- Assist in coordinating across the available components of the Project to ensure effective implementation of M&E;
- Assist the project personnel with M&E tools and in supporting them in their use; • Performing quality checks on data, including data cleaning and verification of data;
- Support UMATI management to Identify and effectively manage all key field related risks during the project implementation;
- Identify lessons learned and develop case studies to capture qualitative outputs of the project. Provide advice to the supervisor on improving project performance using M&E findings;
- Support M&E team in dealing with any other tasks as may be required;
Required experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, Demography, public policy, international development, economics, or a related field.
- A Master’s degree in M&E, statistics, Demography, or economics, or a related area is an added advantage.
- At least 4 years of experience in the design and implementation of M&E activities on health, gender, or international development projects.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and/or performance monitoring plans.
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis, and production of reports;
- Experience managing M&E activities in donor-funded programs is an added advantage
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Experience and skills in using quantitative and qualitative data analysis tools (statistical package) (e.g., SPSS, STATA, NVIVO, etc.) is an asset;
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages.
- Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software;
- Strong training & facilitation skills
Knowledge / Skills and Abilities
- Good knowledge of program implementation, monitoring, and evaluation techniques and practices.
- Sound knowledge of research and evaluation principles and methods • Good analysis and evaluation skills
- Well-developed presentation and writing skills
- Good planning and organizing skills
- Good command over report writing in English
- Excellent computer knowledge with command of MS Excel among other packages of MS Office
- Familiarity with impact assessment an advantage
- Excellent time management skills, ability to prioritize tasks, and result-oriented approach;
- Possession of cultural awareness and sensitivity including gender;
- Capacity to work under, pressure, manage stress, and adapt to rapidly evolving situations;
- Outstanding analytical and writing skills, with demonstrated ability to write quality technical reports.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- Exceptional skills in team-building and collaboration as well as experience in coaching or mentoring others in project implementation.
- Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including presentation skills.
Attitudes and Behaviours
- Hardworking with the capacity to work independently with minimum supervision • Demonstrates honesty, integrity, as well as openness, and a transparent personality.
- Working towards achieving a team goal.
- Demonstrates respect for all groups of people in the community and is culturally sensitive.
- Persuasive and able to work in different cultural settings.
- Motivated, energetic, and strives to develop and support others. • Result oriented, flexible, and a team player.
- Working for the best interest of the organization Adolescents and children. • Appreciate child rights and gender equality.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Decisive evidence-based decision-making skills;
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit an application letter indicating the position applied for, a detailed copy of their CV, and the names and contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) of the three work-related referees.
Applications should be submitted by 31st December 2022 to the Executive Director through email email@example.com
The position should be the subject of the email application. Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
UMATI is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disability are highly encouraged to apply.