Internship As Laboratory Scientists (4 Positions)
THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH
CALL FOR INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization under the Ministry of Health established by the Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 which became operational in 1980. The Institute is mandated to carry out, control, coordinate, register, monitor, evaluate and promote health research in Tanzania. The establishment of this Institute was in recognition by the Government of the need to generate scientific data and information required in the development of better methods and techniques for improving disease management, prevention and control in Tanzania.
The main role of the internship as Laboratory scientists will be to undertake training for performing routine and specialized tasks related to the execution of laboratory procedures for the project. The positions entail working under the supervision of experienced laboratory scientist and researchers in the provision of technical support and advice related to sample collection, processing, analysis and storage in accordance with the requirements of Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) together with agreed professional and project standards and guidelines.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory Sciences or Molecular Biology and Biotechnology from a recognized university and attained in the past three years.
- Applicants should have good theoretical and practical knowledge of different molecular biology techniques. Good working skills in genomics and/or bioinformatics will be an added advantage
- Demonstration of practical and technical abilities to collect and, process research samples, analyze and report test results will be an added advantage.
- Applicants should have complex problem-solving skills, decision-making, critical thinking, time-management, and team working skills.
- Applicants must have the ability to work well under full supervision but demonstrate and an ability to move to partial or no supervision, good verbal, and written communication skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Successful candidates will get training and work under the supervision of experienced laboratory scientists and researchers in performing the following duties and responsibilities.
- Train in sample collection, processing, and analysis in accordance with the needs of the project and routine in/outpatient specimens
- Training in preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment to ensure procedure is carried out as planned
- Take part in activities that will ensure all specimens delivered to the laboratory are processed and all test results are recorded according to SOPs
- Under the supervision of senior staff to ensure storage and location of records of specimens are conducted in accordance with SOPs
- Take part planning and performing routine and specialized technical procedures required by the project including troubleshooting and resolving technical problems
- Assist in maintaining standards and cleanliness of laboratory equipment in accordance with engineer’s advice, guidelines, and equipment’s manual
- Take part in activities that will ensure effective communication with project, hospital staff and field teams so as to get all the collected information for laboratory records
- Participate in quality control programs as required by GCLP to ensure reliability of testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment and compliance with relevant regulations
- Assist the laboratory team in complying with internal and external regulatory authorities by adhering to quality controls, health and safety and inspection control practices
- Be able to work on-call duties when required to do so.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Principal Investigator and other superiors of NIMR
REMUNERATION AND DURATION OF THE INTERNSHIP
Successful applicants will receive free training and are therefore expected to cover their living and other expenses during the duration of the training. The appointment will be for a period of six months which can be extended only once based on the performance and availability of positions.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Application letters should be accompanied by Curriculum vitae, certified copies of academic qualifications and other relevant certificates together with the names and addresses of at least three reputable referees, phone numbers and valid e-mail address.
Applications should be addressed to the address below.
National Institute for Medical Research,
3 Barack Obama Drive,
P.O. Box 9653,
11101 Dar es Salaam.
Only Shortlisted applicants will be contacted
The closing date is 19th April 2022.